Nike – Just Do It is one of the best ad campaigns ever made. Here are some of the facts about this historic ad campaign that stayed with us.
- The ad campaign was launched in the year 1988
- The trademark commercial featured 80-year-old Walt stack jogging across the Golden Gate Bridge, chatting about his daily 17-mile run.
- The ad became a runway hit universally among all age groups and across the globe.
- Within a decade of the campaign, Nike’s business grew 4 times!
- ‘ Just do it ‘ is still remembered as one of the historic ad campaigns ever made.
- This year marks 30 years of the campaign.
- Nike made some of our favorite athletes as their brand ambassador and recreated the campaign.
THE CAMPAIGNS FOCUS ON WOMEN
- The ad campaign over the years has focused on women.
- They strategically chose some prominent woman at that time as their ambassador.
- This encouraged women athletes to start using Nike.
NIKE DECLARES 2019 AS THE YEAR FOR WOMEN
- Here are some of the ads that were created featuring some of the prominent women athletes.
WHY WAS THE CAMPAIGN SUCCESSFUL?
- Nike is an athlete’s brand and they stick to it.
- Nike supports athletes. They develop brand characters! They choose their athletes strategically!
- They remained clear and consistent.
- They were aware of both positive and negative impact that the new campaign could create but still went on with it. It shows that they are willing to take a risk!
- They have a dedicated Marketing and Advertisement planning crew who worked relentlessly for the ad campaign.
As quoted by the Former Director of Marketing Insights & Planning and the core Planner of Just Do It for Nike (From 1986 – 1996) about the latest ad campgain “Short-term pain for Nike’s brand, but long-term gain. The social discussion around the campaign will elevate public understanding of the greatness of America and the need for more respect and regard for all people, of all colors and classes.”
- Nike always strives to be motivational.
- Nike encourages people to take up sports! Since their first-ever Just Do It ad, they have been encouraging people to take up sports! Here is the link to the ad that made history: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yO7xLAGugQ
What are your thoughts about the ad campaign?
Share it in the comment section below!